Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend (Part 1 of The Triple Play)
Snow sports industry research indicates that most newcomers are introduced to skiing or snowboarding through friends and family members. And, the number one reason that newcomers want to learn is to “spend more time with friends and family members” already involved. The Bring a Friend campaign is a way to connect the dots.
The Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend, January 5 – 7, 2018, is the kick-off for Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month (January) when resorts throughout the U.S. offer great deals on beginner lessons and packages. Some are one day and some are multi-day. Most include a lift ticket, lesson(s) and beginner rental equipment.
You are a partner in the Learn to Ski and Snowboard/Bring a Friend Initiative. The partner toolkit – www.ski-snowboard.org - includes lots of background information as well as “Bring a Friend” artwork and graphics for partners to use in their own efforts. PR messages in the toolkit are meant to address what motivates and what deters beginners.
We are asking “front-line partners” – resorts/instructors and retailers to participate in all or part of The Triple Play including the Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend, World Snow Day and efforts to leverage the Olympics.
The Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend is Part 1 of The Triple Play. Parts 2 and 3 of The Triple Play are also posted in the toolkit.
How can I get involved?
1) First of all, use the toolkit as a resource and be part of the nationwide effort to generate new customers for skiing and snowboarding.
2) Make sure that your retailer customers and reps know that January is “Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month” and the Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend is January 5 – 7. Members of SSL, SMC, NBS and Sports, Inc are partners but not all retailers are pro-active.
3) Consider working with participating resort and retailer partners. Other parts of the toolkit contain suggestions for them but it is up to partners to determine their own programs. One suggestion for local retailers is to organize a “Bring a Friend” night in the shop prior to the Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend.
4) Resorts are encouraged to organize a “Bring a Friend Challenge” Party sometime during the weekend of January 5 – 7, 2018 as a way to make newcomers feel like they are part of the “ski and snowboard family”. Retailers are encouraged to partner. The audience would be new customers.
5) At clinics alert your reps about The Triple Play.
6) Help us promote the www.learntoskiandsnowboard.org web site so they can get basic information on preparing for a first-time experience. The web site is the ONLY industry site dedicated to beginners and it includes a map locator to partner resorts, tips on what to expect during a first-time visit to a resort, information on how to dress, links to videos and much more.
Prizes – National Bring a Friend Challenge and #firstdayfaces
Additional opportunities for involvement follow.
On a national level, provide Bring a Friend Challenge prizes (THANK YOU!) to those who help newcomers sign up for beginner lessons. This year, this national promotion will be tied in with the Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend (Jan. 5 – 7) and highlighted nationally. All partner resort locations are eligible and it is free for partners to use.
Contest guidelines are on-line at www.bringafriend.org.
Resorts and retailers also can organize their own “Challenge Contest” with prize giveaways to those who bring newbies to a particular resort for lessons or into a shop either before, during or after the national Bring a Friend Challenge Weekend.
The #firstdayfaces social media campaign appeals to newcomers. Beginners are encouraged to use #firstdayfaces when posting photos of their first day on the slopes. Last year, more than 500 photos were posted. Beginner-oriented prizes are welcome.
LSS(M)/Bring a Friend partners are encouraged to promote this social media campaign. Several of our product and media partners provided incentives last year.
Here is a link.
Several research-based PR messages are listed in the Partner Toolkit. These messages are intended to reinforce the reasons newcomers want to learn how to ski or snowboard and mitigate the deterrents that discourage them from doing so. Feel free to use this information. Review PR messages here: http://bit.ly/2sYCVUn